5 Nice Surprises When Going Vegan
You think of all the immediate benefits: instantly healthier diet, more sustainable lifestyle, membership to an ever-growing community of people both world-wide and locally and maybe even a guilt-free conscience. But there’s more! Over the past couple years I have noted some of the hidden surprises involved in following a plant-based diet. The following five points are all personally experienced by me so no guarantees the same will happen for you. Except for number 2, I’m going to say that one is guaranteed!
Vegan Life Just Keeps on Giving…
- Consistent energy throughout the day. When I first went vegan years back, I was working up to 13 hour days in London. Each day would be a rollercoaster of energy levels. A few hours each day I’d feel sluggish and tired waiting for my second and third wind. Of course I’d be smashing coffees every now and again to get me through those periods. Within a week of changing my diet I noticed I didn’t need to dose up on caffeine as much as before. I felt good for most of the day. Of course working such long hours isn’t healthy in the slightest but there I was feeling good right up until catching the train home.
- Coming in at number two (couldn’t resist) – Pooping! My goodness this was an instant surprise for me. Nobody does pooping better than a vegan. With all those good, good veggies full of fibre, as well as the rich fibre content of the superfoods we put in the Go! Vegan Box, you’ll be efficiently working your waste through your intestines. No more straining, less wiping (good for the environment) and the feeling of being completely empty. It’s just wonderful.
- Variation in your diet. You are forced to eat differently when going from veggie or omni diets, and unless you are happy with the same 3 meals every day I’m sure you will be hitting up the recipe sites for new and interesting flavours. Maybe it led you here, and taught you about all the benefits of micro-boosting your diet with Go! Vegan Box?
It isn’t just contained to home life either. When eating out you might be limited by the menu selection which seems like a bad thing, but ultimately it has led me to try dishes I probably wouldn’t have gone for.
- Better beer! Firstly I should say sorry to those who don’t drink alcohol. This point is a bit of a dud for you. For those who do drink but don’t drink beer – I will not apologise. As you may know the traditional process of making beer involves using certain fish products, which means a lot of English Real Ale is a no-go. This forced me to re-evaluate my drinking choices and funnily enough led me to getting a job in a craft-beer bar. To cut a long story short – an astonishing amount of craft beer is vegan friendly and the range of styles and flavours that come with it is equally astounding. So if you think you “don’t like beer”, head down to your nearest over-priced craft bar and ask for as many tasters as you want and I am confident you will find something surprisingly delicious.
- Talking to animals! Ahhh… I wish. The last on the list is actually healthier skin. This one might be well known but it certainly wasn’t something I thought about in the early days. I thought I had pretty good skin and didn’t seem too concerned by the few breakouts and oiliness that I had before. Cutting out dairy has been scientifically linked to reducing acne, and seeing as in the west it effects over 85% of adolescents there is a good chance a vegan lifestyle can help a lot of young people with their skin issues.
And that’s it for this one. Let me know if there are any more hidden benefits of going vegan in the comments below!
Peace & Love